Few important facts and advice for starting construction
Before constructing any type of house, it is very important to perform a few particular religious activities (worship or prayer), which are as follow like-
Shankusthapana– It is the technical process through which information about north-south and east-west directions are obtained. It can be also called purvabhimukhikaran rule. Before it, the place for constructing a house should be cleaned along with leveling it. In the north-east corner of the plot, one should need to do worship of Vaastu and Lord Ganesha. After that only, activities like- digging for starting the construction of a house, worship of stone, etc. can be done.
For the construction of a house, it has been considered as important to start the digging process from the north-east corner of a plot. It should be done from north-east to south-east and south-east to south-west direction. It can be also started from north-east to north-west and north-west to south-west directions. While digging, no any place except north-east corner should be lower.
For the construction of a house, making pillars, putting a concrete base of 1, 4, 8, making the place for the foundation, etc. should be started only from south-west corner and then it should be continued from its opposite direction as well as the north-east area should never be kept as higher than the south-west area.
If the house is old and has to fall or destroy, this work should be started from north-east corner, the north-east level should be always little lower than other areas. If the quality of the materials of the old house is in good condition, such materials can be used in the construction of a new house.
Vaastu pooja should be performed minimum three times while constructing a house-
- First, it should be performed before starting the construction of the house.
- Second, at the time of fitting the main gate or door of the house.
- In the last, when a house-warming ceremony would be done.
The digging process should be also started from different corners according to the position of the sun in different zodiac sign like-
|Sun’s position||Digging according to different signs of zodiac|
|Sun||When the sun presents in Leo, Virgo, Libra, etc., the digging process should be started from the south-east corner.|
|Sun||When the sun presents in Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, etc., the digging process should be started from north-east direction.|
|Sun||When the sun presents in Aquarius, Pisces, Aries, etc., the digging process should be started from the north-west direction.|
|Sun||When the sun presents in Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, etc, the digging process should be started from the south-west corner.|
In addition to them, one should need to take any decision only after discussing with an expert astrologist or pandit.
Like this, it is also very important to fix any auspicious day for fitting the main gate or door of the house and for house-warming ceremony. One should enter in the house only after completion of the house completely, but he/she should avoid entering in uncompleted house. Even after completion the ground floor, if the first floor has not been completed, one should not enter the house until it would be completed fully.
For doing all these activities, one should need to choose any auspicious moment after observing panchang, birth chart, planets, constellation, etc. through the help of an expert astrologist or pundit (or, pandit). These activities must be done only in uttarayana (16th January to 15th July), auspicious month, day, date and any auspicious moment.
- The construction of house should be started in the months described in Hindu calendar like- Vaishakha, Shrawan, Margasheesh, Paush, Phalgun, etc.
- Also, the main gate or door can be fitted in these months like-
- In north direction, the main gate or door can be fitted in the shukla paksha of shrawan or kartik month.
- In east direction, the gate or door can be fitted in the shukla paksha of kartik or magh month.
- In west direction, the main gate or door can be fitted in the shukla paksha of Vaishakha or Shrawan month.
- In south direction, fitting the main gate or door in the shukla paksha of Vaishakha or magh month is considered as auspicious.
For starting the construction of the house, days like- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are considered as very good and auspicious.
Nakshatra (constellation) like- Mriga, Rohini, Anuradha, Shira, Rewati, Uttarashadha, Ghanishtha, Shatbhisha, Uttra, Shrawan, Uttrabhadra, etc. are considered as very auspicious for the construction of the house.
Lagan (auspicious moment) like- Taurus, Leo, Sagittarius and Scorpio are considered as very auspicious for constructing a house.
Dates like- dwitiya, panchami, saptami, dashami, ekadashi and trayodashi are considered as auspicious for the construction of the house.
Other important facts– Before house-warming ceremony, food or anything should not be cooked inside the house; in other words, any type of fireplace or stove, etc. should not be burned inside new house. As well as, any family member should not use the bathroom or toilet, etc. of new house before performing the house-warming ceremony.
Before entering in a new house, the house should be decorated well after cleaning it; if possible, the main gate or door should be decorated with a banana plant, mango leaves and fragrant flowers for a beautiful appearance. At the last night of house-warming ceremony, religious activities like- vaastu pooja, vaastu home, vaastu sacrifice, protection of house, sudarshanhome, etc. should be performed. Before it, the entire house should be made pure by allowing cow and calf entering the house and by sprinkling Gangajal (Ganges water/holy water). On the day of house-warming ceremony, the main gate or door should be covered with a white piece of cloth coating with turmeric and worship should be performed on it. After entering inside the house, first of all establish God’s statue in pooja room and then do other religious activities like- boiling milk, gana-hom, holocaust for nine planets, worshiping of Satyanarayana, feeding guest and workers, giving any type of awards to all the workers who play their own role in the construction of house, etc. after this ceremony, the entire house should be lighted well as well as family members should need to start living in this house from this day. Few people are returned back to their old home after celebrating the house-warming ceremony of a new house as locking the main gate which is not considered as good (appropriate) by any sense. If they can not live in the new house, they should not arrange a house-warming ceremony.
After entering in the house, one should need to do worship as a daily routine. The face of God’s statue established in pooja room or any other place should be towards west, east and north directions only as well as one’s face should be towards only east, west or south direction respectively. In daily worship, it is also necessary to follow the following principles described in religious granthas (books) like-
Before doing worship, one should need to make his body pure by taking bath and wear washed and clean clothes. No one should enter inside a pooja room without washing hands and legs. One should rub his feet with each other and then clean them with the left hand while the right hand should be used for pouring water.
- Utensils or pots made up of brass should never be used in pooja room. Instead of them, a copper utensil has been recommended by vaastu shaastra for this purpose. These utensils have been considered as more auspicious when one has to use water. Also, collecting basil’s leaves, flowers, etc. in the copper plate is considered as auspicious.
- If one has to use Deepak of oil or oil-related religious activities in pooja room, utensils made up of brass can be used for this purpose. Silver or golden objects can be used for any type of works, but iron, stainless steel, and castor oil should never be used.
- If water is taken from well or bore well (boring) for a religious purpose, it is considered the best. This type of water must be highly pure as well as one should never immerse nails in this water. It should be kept in the mind that the water taken in the bowl should not be touched with the feet of unfamiliar person (outer person).
- Flowers should be offered to God’s statue only after washing them with pure and fresh water. Other types of flowers should never be kept with basil’s leaves in one plate. Basil’s leaves should never be washed with water. Basil’s leaves should never be plucked in the evening or at night, but these leaves can be plucked in the morning before sunrise i.e. before falling sunlight on them. Stolen flowers should never be used for worship or religious activities.
- It is better to use only a few particulars fragrant flowers instead of all types or any types of flowers. Decomposed, stale or defective flowers should never be used for such purposes.
- Red flowers except for fragrant flowers like- rose, lotus, etc. are not used for worshiping of God Narayana. For worshiping of Maa (Goddess) Durga, flowers like- safflower, gurhal, etc. can be used along with other flowers.
- In fact, different types of people worship their Gods and Goddesses according to different rules and regulations (traditions) only, however worshiping without basil’s leaves, cone, bell, fragrance (sandal coating), etc. is mostly considered as incomplete. Dhoop, aratee, Deepak, sacrificial fire, etc. Should never be extinguished (put off) through the blow of mouth’s air.
- While doing worship, one should never talk unnecessarily, touch the body, hairs, feet, head, nose, etc. with his/her hand. Play with children or becoming high tempered is also restricted at the time of worshiping.
- While worshiping, one should never pour (offer) water on the statue with the left hand as well as he/she should also not make loud noise while lifting and putting utensils or plates, etc.
- The foods to be offered to God or statue should never be smelt through nose or taste. As well as, after bowing before God’s statue, one should never clean (dusting) his/her clothes at that place.
- One should need to concentrate completely on the devotion of God only while doing worship and also, he/she should not do worship for craving anything.
- Whitestone or the powder prepared from any other such substance should never be used for drawing rangoli, using only rice flour is considered as auspicious for this purpose.
- Pigeons should never be nurtured (tamed) inside a house, but if possible, tame birds like- mynah, parrot, cock, duck, swan, etc. taming these birds is considered as auspicious. Animals like- musk-cat, cheetah (leopard), mongoose, etc. can be nurtured inside the house.
- Wasp-hives established inside the house should be destroyed, but it should be destroyed in such a way that any of the living creatures inside it could not die.
It is also very important to know that utensils and plates made up of copper were used widely in the daily routine life and religious ceremonies of ancient Indians. Medicinal importance of copper is the scientific reason for it, because-
- Copper utensils or pots catch marks or spots very easily, so such type of utensils or pots should go on cleaning with alkaline or acidic things time-to-time (periodically). Such type of utensils or pots is remained spotless by going on cleaning them like this as well as any type of marks or spots is not able to appear on them.
- According to Ayurveda, if water is filled in copper pots along with basil’s leaves for the whole night as well as if one drinks or takes this water in the next morning, he gets a healthy and long life.
According to old religious granthas (books), another important fact to be taken in the mind is that Deepak (earthen lamp) or fire should never be extinguished through the mouth. So, the Indians, who extinguish burning candles through the mouth on the occasion of their birthdays as followed to western culture, do wrong. According to Hindu panchang, celebrating this important day (birthday) according to only their constellation is considered very auspicious and useful.